Hummus is a popular dish in the vegan world for its nutritious profile. When combined with whole wheat pasta or a mix of roasted vegetables, you get a dish that’s not only bursting with flavors but also full of protein, healthy carbs, and fiber. Therefore, it’s a meal that will keep you feeling full and satisfied.
What is hummus pasta?
Hummus pasta is a delightful pasta dish where hummus is the key ingredient in its sauce. This Baked Hummus Pasta recipe also provides essential nutrients to maintain your energy and health. As vegan registered dietitians, we believe this recipe could play a significant role in fostering a balanced, plant-based diet.
What is hummus?
Hummus can be considered a cream sauce, spread, or dip. Moreover, it’s made primarily from chickpeas, but it may also include a few other healthy ingredients (i.e. olive oil, garlic, spices, etc.). Here’s why chickpeas and hummus is a nutritious addition to your diet:
- The Protein: Hummus is a good source of plant-based protein, which helps your muscles grow, repair themselves, and stay strong.
- The Fiber: Hummus contains a lot of dietary fiber, which is good for digestion and helps with feeling full after eating.
- The Vitamins and Minerals: Hummus is rich in essential nutrients like folate, iron, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
- The Healthy Fats: Hummus has healthy fats, mainly polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, which are good for lowering your cholesterol levels. Therefore, they are good for your heart and overall health.
- The Absence of Cholesterol: Hummus is a cholesterol-free source of fat and protein.
- It’s Versatility: Hummus can be enjoyed and eaten in many ways. It can be used as a dip for veggies or pita, spread on sandwiches, or even as a sauce for dishes like our Baked Hummus Pasta.
Hence, hummus isn’t just delicious, it’s also a nutritious choice that can be part of a balanced plant-based diet.
What are some recommended toppings or garnishes for hummus pasta?
Toppings and garnishes can add texture, flavour, and improve the appearance of your hummus pasta. Here are some recommended toppings and garnishes for hummus pasta:
- Fresh herbs
- Kalamata olives
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Green onions or scallions
- Microgreens or sprouts
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Grated parmesan or crumbled feta cheese
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- A variety of roasted vegetables
- Lemon zest or lemon wedges
- Toasted nuts or seeds (i.e. pine nuts, sliced almonds, or sesame seeds)
Feel free to mix and match these extra additions based on your personal preferences and the flavour profile you want to achieve for your hummus pasta.
Baked Hummus Pasta
Indulge in creamy comfort with our Baked Hummus Pasta. This wholesome dish combines pasta with a tasty hummus sauce, baked to perfection for a delightful, plant-based feast.
Prepare The Tomato Hummus Sauce
Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C).
In an ovenproof dish, combine the cherry tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Ensure the tomatoes are evenly coated in the seasoned oil. Then, generously spread the garlic hummus on top of the tomato mixture.
Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Keep an eye on it – you want the tomatoes to become soft and slightly caramelized while the hummus forms a creamy, flavorful sauce
Prepare The Pasta
While the tomato-hummus mixture is baking, prepare your pasta according to the package instructions. You can use a brown rice pasta or your preferred pasta variety for a wholesome twist.
Once the hummus and tomatoes have been beautifully roasted, remove the dish from the oven. Carefully mix the cooked pasta into this aromatic blend. Stir well to ensure the pasta is coated in the creamy hummus sauce and garnish with freshly chopped basil for a burst of fresh flavor.
Serve your Baked Hummus Pasta hot, and enjoy the delightful combination of creamy hummus, roasted tomatoes, and fragrant basil over perfectly cooked pasta. It's a simple yet sensational plant-based dish that's sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Serving Size 1/3 of total recipe
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 664kcal
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 45.4g70%
- Saturated Fat 2.1g11%
- Sodium 857.7mg36%
- Potassium 483.8mg14%
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6g18%
- Dietary Fiber 7.8g32%
- Sugars 9.2g
- Protein 12.5g25%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.